[Abbreviations: AAS - Associated Architectural Societies reports. HUDC - Hinckley Urban District Council. LRO - Leicestershire Record Office. NMR - National Monuments Record (Swindon). NRO - Northamptonshire Record Office. RCHM - Royal Commission on Historical Monuments for England. TLAS - Transactions of the Leicestershire Archaeological Society. VCH - Victoria County History]
QUAKER MEETING HOUSE See FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE
QUEEN'S COURT See LEICESTERSHIRE BANKING COMPANY PREMISES
The QUEEN'S HEAD 40 Upper Bond Street. This was built in the later 19th century on the site of the old Queen's Head, which was listed in Holden's Triennial Directory for 1809-11 and shown on the 1844 Tithe Map. There is a photograph of the dilapidated, half-timbered, thatched premises in the library collection. The present pub is standard brewery design - redbrick with slate roofs.
Above, left: The Old Queen's Head (Hinckley Library). Above, right: The Queen's Head, 2000.
QUEENS PARK Also called Ram Meadow or Ten Acres, this was part of the medieval park. In 1871 the Local Board bought 15.714 acres of land at a cost of £4-5,000 for use as a recreation ground, designating it 'Queen's Park', and the following year sold off just over 5 acres of the land known as Ram Close (through which Clarence Road now runs). After interminable discussions by the board about its future, the park was formally designated as a recreation ground to celebrate the Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria in 1887.
A new bandstand was opened 28th May 1908 (full account of its opening in the Hinckley Times, Sat 30 May 1908). It was designed by E. H. Crump, Council Surveyor, and executed by Messrs. J. Hall and Sons:
'The structure reflects great credit upon the architect and builders, and is an imposing erection which adds much to the appearance of that part of the ground in which it has been placed. The stand is octagonal in shape and built with a brick foundation: it has a tiled roof which is supported by eight ornamental columns, and a balustrade also runs round the level of the floor, which is of asphalt. It also has a sounding board. The building is painted dark green, and against the lighter shade of the grass beneath it, and the red tiles above it, it presents a pleasing appearance.'
The architect's drawings for the bandstand are displayed at the Planning Dept., Hinckley & Bosworth Borough Council. It is not clear when the structure was dismantled.
QUEENS ROAD Named after Queen Victoria and running from the The Lawns and the old residential streets of the Upper Castle Street district down to the industrial district around the railway station and Southfield Road. The houses on the east side back on to Queen's Park (1887).
Above: Queens Road, looking towards The Lawns, about 1905
Above: Queens Road about 1915
Above: Manchester Hosiery Company works, Queens Road, in about 1940 (see also SOUTHFIELD ROAD: INDUSTRIAL)
A B C D E F G H I J-K L M N O P Q R S St T U-V W-Z